Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stand proud, my allergic friends!

What is life without a few obstacles? A challenge, so to speak?

Ladies and Gentlemen, to ever so slightly complicate my entry into the cooking world, I have food allergies. Yes, I am that person in the restaurant asking “So what exactly is in that Key Lime Pie?”

In addition to being lactose intolerant (which really only affects my relationship with ice cream), I am allergic to cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Ginger and nutmeg have only recently been a problem in my eating lifestyle.

As you can see, I’m lots of fun to cook for around the holiday season.

Anyone else out there with food allergies? Tips for substitutions? Me personally, I’m not entirely sure I’m ready to live a carrot cake and rugelach free life. I’m sure there are others who may appreciate a way to enjoy a missed food item. 

No comments: