Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cookies! Yay!

Yes, I know I have avoided the kitchen for awhile now. But I'm back, wooden spoon in one hand, and a fire extinguisher in the other. 

Last night I decided to bake some cookies to add to the Easter dessert assortment. Spending a Friday night baking might not sound like the coolest activity ever, but really, these cookies are delicious. Not that you can't make them at any other point during the week and they wouldn't come out with the same level of deliciousness, but I felt I had to justify my activity. 

On with the show!

This recipe is from AllRecipes.com, made with a light sprinkling of minor adaptations. 

Chocolate chips, pre-melting. 

Smooooooooooth...

Here is where one adaptation comes in. I couldn't find the vanilla. I searched high. I searched low. I then decided to use this. 

I didn't sneak a sip. Promise. 
(I, however, could then not resist a taste of the butter/sugar/chocolate/liqueur combo)

It turns out that the Godiva Liqueur made a fabulous addition to the cookies. Now, I haven't made these before using the vanilla extract, so I can't really compare to how they're supposed to taste. 

But really, are there serious rules in cookie making? I think not. 

Anyways, the flavor of the liqueur was subtly present in the baked cookies, and added a little enhancement to the chocolate flavor. 

The second substitution I made was using white chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet for both the melted and chip chocolate. I thought it would add a little extra something. Plus I already had white chocolate chips. Plus we've all seen how I like using multiple types of chocolate in one dish

This is what my batter looked like before being frozen. 

The recipe says to put the cookies in the freezer for 20 minutes before rolling them into 1-inch balls. This is a fairly important step, as I learned - as the batter begins to warm up, the chocolate gets meltier (is that a word?) and meltier (word or not, I'm using it again) in your hands. I put the batter back in the freezer between batches. 

The batter, as mentioned, is to be rolled into 1-inch balls. Adam (aka my boyfriend, aka bbq'er extraordinaire) has a nickname for me when I enter the kitchen. 

The anal-retentive chef. 

Yes, I check on things a lot. Yes, I stir when unnecessary, poke when unneeded, and above all do not wander away from the kitchen. That is when potentially bad things happen. 

So, in keeping with my nickname (doesn't it make me sound lovely and easy-going?), when the recipe called for 1 inch, I began to doubt my ability to measure what 1 inch in diameter looked like. 

I really don't think I'm the first person in history to measure their cookies. And if I am, then that's okay. 

Adam is most likely shaking his head partly in disbelief, and partly because he anticipated me doing that. 

Before confectioners' sugar

Oh yes, and if these cookies don't sound amazing enough, they are rolled in confectioners' sugar. 

After confectioners' sugar. 

About 12-14 minutes later, I had these.

How good do these look? You don't have to answer, I know you'd rather be eating one of these cookies than talking. 

You want to see them again? Yeah, so did I. 

OMG these are good. Really good. Also, I got 56 cookies out of this recipe, which means that there are plenty to share. Or keep entirely for yourself. 

I think either decision is entirely okay. 

1 comment:

Jill said...

OMG, these look fantastic! Can't wait to try them, rofl at your ruler!