Thursday, June 18, 2009

M&M Shortbread Cookies UPDATE

This wouldn't be tales of a Kitchenphobe if there weren't mishaps to report. Then it would be "tales of someone who knows entirely and completely what they are doing in the kitchen and never has any issues," which I do think would be a good blog as well, however and again...not me.

Normally when I bake, I will do so ahead of time, and will freeze the cookies for later. I had not done this with the original version of this recipe, as I had made them the day before, however, I had decided to freeze the M&M variation

Irony of ironies, does everyone remember my little confident quip I was happy to see that the color did not spread out too much on the cookie

When, oh when, am I going to learn to keep that mouth of mine shut? 

The cookies went into the freezer colorful and lovely.

The cookies emerged from the freezer colorful and lovely.

Gradually, however, during the defrosting phase, the color of the M&M began to fade. 

Oh, this wasn't supposed to happen
Slightly faded colors

These looked much more attractive before
Closer

They may not look as good, but they still do taste as good
No freezing these cookies

It is noteworthy that the freezing did not affect the taste, just the aesthetics of the cookie.

It is also noteworthy that the appearance of the cookies did not deter the recipients, and every last one was eaten. 

The moral of the story is: don't judge a cookie by its cover. Also, don't freeze these cookies. 

No comments: